Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Llano San Juan, New Mexico - Photo Safari

Llano San Juan Donkey, New Mexico, 2011

One of my greatest joys in life is to take off for the day on “Photo Safari”…….never really knowing where I might wind up or what I’ll see or discover. Last week we arrived in northern New Mexico for an extended stay and I immediately started planning which days I would be able to go lose myself in the hills around Taos. The day of this picture was a little overcast and kind of drizzly, with patches of clouds and every once in a while a major down pour of rain…….but as the saying goes…………. “A Bad Day of Photography is always better than a Good Day at the Office”.


Driving out east of Penasco in the valley area of Llano San Juan, I headed out to a spot I thought might photograph well on an overcast day. Well, it just wasn’t working for me, besides constantly trying to keep my camera and myself dry. Being kind of stubborn anyway, I tried driving around some other back roads in hopes of finding that one elusive brilliant opening of light on a spectacular meadow or church building………nothing until I drove by this old farm and make shift barn. The donkey was probably the smartest of the two of us this day. He at least was staying out of the rain. Luckily, there wasn’t any traffic on the road, so I threw it in park, rolled down the side window and shot this from inside the truck. If you look close, you can see the rain coming down around the dark area around the donkey. Ten seconds after this shot, the donkey decided I wasn’t that intersting any more, and turn inside and disappeared.


As “Photo Safari’s” go, this was a slow and not to productive session, but the time out cruising the High Road area was still time worth spending. Hope you also try to find time to go on your own Safari.


1 comment:

Lisa MacArthur said...

Love the photo safari idea and the cool donkey photo. I bet you guys are having fun!