Sunday, January 8, 2012

Photo of the Week - January 9, 2012


On our way back to California last month, we decided to take the southern route through Deming, Tucson and Yuma to avoid a big storm that was dumping a ton of snow on I-40. Along the way, I got a call from my friend Geraint, checking how far down the road we had gone. Being near Socorro he suggested we take some time to go see the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge. I thought we might be there an hour or so, and didn't mind taking a little time to pull the camera out anyway. Well.....3 1/2 hours later and the sun setting, I had taken 530 images and was amazed at seeing tens of thousands of birds. Quite the site. I wish I could have stayed longer.

This image was taken from the "Flight Deck" pier. It was cold and I was the only one out on the pier in a t-shirt and a lens under 500mm in size. I guess you could say I looked like a "bird out of water"....HA! It was the time most of the Sandhill Cranes were coming back for the evening. They looked like airplanes coming in for landing. Pretty cool! This image shows a couple of the cranes just about to hit the water, and the sunset colors were spectacular. Hope you like the image.

If you are interested in purchasing a print of this image, or would like to see others in my "Photo of the Week" series, click HERE.

No comments: