Sunday, January 11, 2015

Photo of the Week - January 12, 2015



This last fall Chris & I took a 4 week - 5000 mile drive from Taos to West Virginia and then back again to visit family and site see along the way. In both directions of our drive we stayed and explored in Southern Indiana just north of Louisville, Kentucky, the place where I was born....lived for the first 7 years of my life and had not been back to visit in over 43 years. Both my parents families had lived in the same small county for so many generations I have lost count. Having not visited this area since a family vacation in 1971 I impressed myself (and my wife) that I was able to drive (without the need to ask direction) to all of the family's old homesteads and relatives final resting places. This image is a distant photo of the Valeene Chapel (really out on some back roads) as taken on Bacon Road. The adjacent hillside cemetery is where most of my father's side of the family are all buried (grandparents, great grandparents, great-greats and so on).The emotions I was feeling in this image while driving up and then visiting were almost overwhelming. Then to get back home weeks later and see the results of the final image helped bring back so many good memories of not only my feeling of that day but of all the wonderful families members that have been out of my life for decades but still have an influence on how I always live my daily life. It was a great day and one I will never forget.

If you are interested in purchasing a print of this image or would just like to see a better resolution version of the image, click HERE or the title text above. If you would like to see others in my "Photo of the Week" series, click HERE to go to the catalog page of my web site.

No comments: